Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bitchiness VS Feminism

I love this article from Sirens Mag.
Being in the Army as a woman, the anti-"Feminist" attitude is thrown in my face on a daily basis. In a society where the four-letter 'f-word' is more acceptable than the word 'feminist', it is frustrating to deal with the attitudes some days. I hear many women talk about being a female in the military and there are dozens of books on the subject at this point. The words 'female soldier' have been drained of any pride for me at this point, and are now associated with negative attitudes and blatant promiscuity, and the occasional woman-in-uniform crying equal opportunity and/or sexual harrasment weekly.
Let me explain to you that feminism is not defined by the women that are loud, angry, man-hating, hairy steroid-ridden bitches. A bitch is a bitch. Feminism is saying 'I can do that, too, watch this!' and letting the guys be surprised. I wear ACU's and combat boots, I carry my own gear, I do my own paperwork, and I'm great at my job. I can still appreciate a man who opens a door when I'm in a skirt and heels on a date. I can still thank a man courteously for paying the cab fare or buying dinner. I am a feminist. I get more respect, for myself and for women as a whole, by quietly pushing the boundaries and standing up for myself and others- male or female- when something is wrong. Respect is respect, I have strengths and weaknesses, and there are some biological differences, but none of them take me out of any fight.
I am single, female, and in the United States Armed Forces. Tell me there is a more male-dominated work force out there and I will tell you that you are wrong. It doesn't bother me. I don't care. I am proud of my job, not because I am a female doing it, but because it is a job to be proud of. I am proud of myself when I run faster than I have before, when I do better at some skill I have had a hard time with, when I write something worth reading, when I say something that makes people think, when I help someone, when I fix something. I am only competing with myself in the end. So long as I am improving, I have nothing to apologize for or be angry about.
I should explain, I suppose, that at 22 years old, I am divorced and have no children of my own. I have gone rounds with being dependent, with leaning on someone else for some of my most basic needs. It was a learning experience, a stepping stone. I am stronger because of it. I have lived my own personal hell, and I am ready for more, I am ready for the next round. I can handle anything. I am single, and I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy to fall in love and live my dream. I will not take less than what I want, though, never less than what I deserve. I don't want a sugar daddy, nor someone I have to babysit, I want a partner. I want someone who will look out for me and who is okay with me looking out for them. I want a give-and-take relationship, where balance and trust are key- because respect is just the foundation. I can wait for what is right.

No comments: